Fiber optic installation is the best recourse to offer high-performance networking for a business. It delivers higher bandwidth capacity while reducing the electromagnetic interference one can receive with a copper cable. Professional fiber optic installation companies specialize in several cable installation services to deliver the reliable and quick service on which a business relies. Such companies are experts in offering fiber optic fusion splicing, cable repair, and carrying out regular audits of the network to maintain the integrity of the fiber optic cables. Here in this article, one will learn everything about fiber optic installation.
What is meant by fiber optic installation?
Fiber optic installation requires professional technicians to lay fiber optic cables for delivering a high-speed network to a specific building. The process involves three steps- running, connecting, and terminating the cable. Most of the world’s internet connections depend on fiber optic cables between cities and countries. However, fiber optic installation companies can also lay down fiber optic cables in residential areas and business districts.
Fiber optic installation is required to use:
- Internet and computer networking
- Cable TV
- Military and space applications
Fiber optic network installation
Below given are different types of fiber optic network installation:
- FTTP: A fiber to the premises (FTTP) is an optical fiber laid by technicians to a specific building. Once the installation process is completed, the optical network terminals convert the optical signal to the electrical one.
- FTTB: A fiber-to-the-building (FTTB) is another type of fiber-optic cable installation that is used to provide an internet connection to single homes, apartment blocks, offices, or other similar types of buildings.
- FTTC/N: The installation process of fiber to the curb or node (FTTC/N) involves laying down the fiber to the node while the copper cable continues the connection within the building.
- Direct Fiber: This fiber optic network installation is best suited for small service areas that require excellent bandwidth.
- Shared Fiber: This is another fiber optic network installation wherein an Active or Passive Optical Network splits a fiber into customer-specific fibers.
Best practices for fiber optic installation
Experienced fiber optic installation companies always follow the best practices for installing fiber optic cables safely and efficiently. And these include:
- Determining the length of cable required for a building
- Developing a port map to figure out what each port connects to.
- Not twisting the cables, so there is no damage within the fragile fibers.
- Checking the cable’s tension, pulling the loads, and staying within these limits.
- Removing dirt or debris on the end of the cable to prevent signal loss.
Fiber optic installation is a complicated and detailed process that can’t be undertaken without professional help. Trained and experienced technicians know different types of fiber optic cable installations best suited for different areas and requirements. During the installation process, they ensure that the cable’s end is clean and free of damage and that the connection is secure to prevent signal loss. Moreover, an optical time-domain reflectometer (OTDR) is used as a final step to ensure that the connection is working correctly.